The local communities are thrilled to have an orphanage here help take some burden off of relatives of orphaned children. The region has one of the highest orphan rates in Uganda - an estimated 13% of all children. However, many of them do have relatives who love them and are struggling to care for them. Our orphanage model operates as a boarding school to feed, shelter and educates the children during the school terms, and allows them to return to loving caregivers during school holidays.
Diseases such as HIV/AIDS, cholera, dysentery, malaria, tuberculosis, diabetes and cancer are a leading factor in the loss of lives in the Rwenzori region. Poor hygiene and lack of information can be significant causal factors. Other factors contributing to loss of life are unsafe automobile and boat operation, domestic violence, homicides, and suicides resulting from huge debts, unemployment, and loss of hope.
The Rwenzori region has also had its share of armed conflicts, witnessing a number of civil wars in the form of guerilla warfare over the past fifty years. Several rebel groups have operated in this region as the terrain has acted as a safe haven for rebels to stay in the mountainous area. The impact of the Allied Democratic Forces rebellion on civilians was devastating as it led to massive internal displacement. Many people were killed and villages set ablaze. Indiscriminate acts of violence perpetrated against the communities, especially women and children, still linger in the faces.
With BiZoHa, we bring some much needed hope for the children. We also bring jobs to some of the people, and outside funding for our supplies which will provide a boost to the local economy. We also bring a different perspective of community based on Humanism, free-thought, and science.
Ten Humanist Principles for community:
1. DIGNITY: Proclaim the natural dignity and inherent worth of all human beings.
2. RESPECT: Respect the life and property of others.
3. TOLERANCE: Be tolerant of others belief and life styles
4. SHARING: Share with those who are less fortunate and assist those who are in need of help.
5. NO DOMINATION: Do not dominate through lies or otherwise.
6. NO SUPERSTITION: Rely on Reason, Logic and Science to understand the universe and to solve life's problems.
7. CONSERVATION: Conserve and improve the Earth’s natural environment.
8. NO WAR: Resolve differences and conflicts without resorting to war or violence.
9. DEMOCRACY: Rely on political and economic democracy to organize human affairs.
10. EDUCATION: Develop ones intelligence and talents through education and effort.
Source: Global & Rational Ethics by Rodrique Tremblay